Rocky road bars are sweet, candy-like, indulgent treats. Made with chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers, and chopped nuts, the no-bake bars make great after-school snacks or dessert.
Because I love texture in desserts, one of my favorite flavors of ice cream is rocky road. The combination of creamy chocolate ice cream with soft marshmallows and crunchy nuts makes my heart happy. And because I’m a bit of a lazy baker, another favorite are no bake dessert recipes.
If you’re anything like me, then you will love this no bake recipe for rocky road bars, too!
Here’s a quick video tutorial to show you just how easy these are to make! A printable recipe can be found at the bottom of this post.
This rocky road bars recipe is from a small-batch baking cookbook that I own. When I make desserts, I like to make smaller batch sizes because it’s just my husband and I eating them. I have little to no self-control where sweet treats are concerned, so making small-batch recipes is the perfect solution. These bars freeze beautifully, so after dessert is over, I wrap and freeze the leftovers. Not only does it help to keep them “out of sight, out of mind”, it makes them a great make ahead treat for holidays, potlucks, and unexpected guests.
If the bars are cut into small squares, the rocky road bars thaw out and are ready to eat in less than 20 minutes.
Truthfully, these bars are very rich, almost a cross between fudge and a candy bar, so I’m satisfied having just one bar at a time. If you want to make a larger batch, I think doubling the recipe as written below should turn out pretty well. That being said, I haven’t tried it, so if you decide to double the recipe, please let me know how it turns out for you!
No Bake Rocky Road Bars
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 123kcal Calories from fat 45|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Rocky road bars are sweet, candy-like, no bake treats. Made with chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers, and chopped nuts.
For the Crumb Mixture
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
For the Chocolate Mixture
- 3.5 oz (1 cup) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 oz. (1/4 cup) milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan (1 1/4 pound size) with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
Make the Crumb Mixture:
1. Add all crumb mixture ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or silicone mixing spatula, stir everything together until combined. Mixture should be moist, but crumbly. Set aside.
Make the Chocolate Mixture:
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate chips, milk, and butter. Heat for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and smooth. (ALTERNATE METHOD: Use a microwave-safe bowl and melt on medium power for 2 minutes, stirring the mixture every 30 seconds.)
2. Pour HALF of the mixture (about 1/2 cup) over the crumb mixture. Stir well to combine and spread evenly into the prepared loaf pan.
3. Add confectioners' sugar to the remaining chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Spread evenly over the crumb mixture. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Remove from pan and peel off the parchment or waxed paper. Cut into bars and serve.
If you love these rocky road bars as much as I do, you might want to try these rocky road desserts from my blogging friends, too!
Elvis on a Rocky Road Bundt Cake, from It’s Yummi.
Rocky Road Fudge Poke Cake, from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen.
Peanut Butter Rocky Road Fudge, from Mom on Timeout.
Easy Rocky Road Popcorn, from Barbara Bakes.
No-Churn Rocky Road Ice Cream, from Belly Full.